Wednesday 13 October 2010

Relief form


My attempt

Inspired by Cara bearer (see below) our art work this week was on relief form. held together originally by paper-clips, the twists of the magazine strip were glued together and in my case stood up to create an effective piece. It took a lot longer than I expected and I was quite pleased with the final outcome. I managed to vary the size of the spirals and I could see the connection with Cara's work.

This was were our  main inspiration came from (Cara Barer's work):
Whirligig
Journey to Zaragoza
The thing I really like about Barer's pieces is that she made a simple, everyday object into an original piece of art. In Journey to Zaragoza, as well as liking the formation of the piece, I think that it is a really clever use of materials; the maps linking to the title of the piece really well.

I love her pieces. I think that they create a real atmosphere with the spirals of the pages. I could have improved my piece by making it more secure because at this current stage, it is quite flimsy. To make it more secure, I could have put a bit more glue. Or, to make it more professional, I could use wax like Cara Barer does. Given the opportunity, I would mount my piece on a black wall to create the floating effect Barer manages to create. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you have photographed your final outcome Carla, well done. I would like to see it with a black background too, so the form can be seen more easily.

    Please add why you were please with your outcome and how you could make it more secure.

    ReplyDelete