Wednesday 13 October 2010

2D Flip art

Our class has been working on our simple 2D flip art pieces, inspired by our research last week.We did this in a number of steps.

1) Miss Gardiner handed out books in a random order from a bookshop. 
I got one about super cars (as you can imagine I was thrilled, my list of forms to create wasn't the widest, cars and more cars!*). 

2) We turned roughly to the middle of the book and glued 4 pieces of 
paper together on each side. 

3) Brainstormed ideas and made a small spider diagram to show them. 
We also did a simple sketch of what we thought our final idea would look like.

4) Next lesson we finished off our simple sketch and started 
drawing it onto our sheets (the ones we stuck together).

5) After collecting the knife, we started cutting out our designs, making 
sure we didn't cut the whole shape out completely.

6) When we had finished, we stood the cut shapes up, creating our 2d 
flip art piece.

*when I first got the book, I didn't think much of it as I didn't feel like I had much choice but with help from the people on my table, I put some ideas on the brainstorm. I would have liked to have got an older book as I think they are more effective- simple text, yellowing pages and no pictures.

This was visibly my first attempt!

Here are a few pices which inspired our work:

I really like the way that we can see the shadows- it adds to the atmosphere of the piece.
This inspired me to use layers and different heights but at this stage in the lessons we were just experimenting and, with limited time, we were unable to expand into a more complex piece.
I could have improved by adding more visible layers- I learnt from my mistakes not to make the main focus too big to the front because you cant fit any shorter things around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment