Tuesday 7 December 2010

Evaluation of final outcome

To conclude the topic of recycling, we all made a final piece for an exhibition showing on the 10th of December. Unfortunately I was unable to bring a camera into school so the quality of the picture isn't great (I used the mini-book camera).

Final piece
My final piece reflects the class work we did with book art and 3D projecting form. For this reasons, the artists which inspired me were the ones stated in my '3D projecting form' post. Sachiyo Yoshida inspired me for the bursting-out-of-the-pages effect and I think that it adds a nice, animated touch to the piece.

Using the collaging skills I learnt in the 3d projecting form topic, I used newspaper to create the basic structure before covering it with pages from the book. I did this for both the branch and the bird, using a reasonable amount of glue to make it strong. I attached the separate structure to the book by drilling a hole halfway through the book and fixing it in place with PVA glue which was surprisingly effective. In my original idea, I planned to collage colour pages from magazines to add more interest but as advised, I stuck to the black and white colour scheme. I think that this is effective because it is very simple, subtle and not too bold.

I found it quite hard to get the proportions right on the bird and next time I would spend more time researching how to get the shape more accurate. For my Marquette homework, I decided it would be too hard to make a miniature version of the whole piece so I just made the bird. from this I already knew it was going to be hard so I improved my method slightly by making the newspaper structure under the collage more smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment